TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR THE PROJECT ACCOUNTANT.
Job Vacancy: Project Accountant
Place of Duty: PSD Secretariat, Kampala, Uganda
Department: Finance and Administration.
Reports to: Program Manager.
About the Organisation
Paradigm for Social Justice and Development (PSD) is a Non-Profit Organisation that was formed by a group Women Lawyers and Human Rights activists, committed to advancing Social Justice and Development of the youth and women to be able to take shape of their destiny. PSD envisions a Society without Injustice, Violence and Poverty and the Mission is to work with vulnerable communities to address social injustices, alleviation of poverty and violence.
PSD exists to coordinate and harmonize services provided by the different service providers. Our mandate is to build and strengthen the technical competencies of women to deliver quality services to vulnerable people in Uganda.
PSD stands to promote and enhance networking, collective visioning, and action among the different actors working towards development and the transformation of unequal gender relations in Uganda. PSD focuses on influencing policy changes with respect to women in peace building, access to justice, Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights, governance and decision-making, Gender Based Violence, and economic empowerment of women. PSD also works towards networking with various stakeholders, documentation and sharing information as well as capacity building of women.
About the Project
PSD is implementing a project on “Empowering women to promote peaceful and gender equal societies in Wakiso focused on averting electoral violence.’’ The project is primarily focused on averting electoral violence in Wakiso District with support from The Women’s Peace and Humanitarian Fund (WPHF) and The United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women). The Project is for eighteen months and targets women.
Under the general guidance of the Program Manager, the project accountant oversees the proper processing of all program/Project related financial transactions; as well as maintenance of records. Ensure accurate recording and reporting of financial information. Produce financial statements, analyze financial information and provide advice on financial matters. Establish and maintain effective Accounting control Systems and maintain the assets register.
Core Duties & Responsibilities:
- Handle all financial functions related to all program/projects;
- Assist in the preparation and monitoring of program estimates/budget
- Verify the correct application of contract and grant award procedures;
- Verify the existence of adequate and reliable supporting documents for Commitments, payments and any recoveries;
- Verify the contractual and financial details of each invoice, payment
- Request an interim or final itemized statement of account;
- Prepare payroll, update lists of staff and their pay,
- Take inventory of materials and equipment and, where appropriate, Inventories of stock financed by the projects or program;
- Prepare and make requests for replenishment and for closure;
- Prepare Payment Orders;
- Liaise with internal Auditor to ensure effective procedures and internal control;
- Direct and supervise accounts assistants in discharge of their duties.
- Ensure the smooth and timely disbursement of funds;
- Prepare documentation for audit purposes;
- Produce audit working papers as required;
- Produce timely bank reconciliations;
- Research and document explanations of significant budget variances on a periodic basis’
- Prepare timely and accurate periodic financial reports;
- Participate in periodic financial reviews as appropriate;
- Perform other related duties;
- Ensure timely compliance with all donors financial requirement.
- Ensure the annual financial reports are produced on time.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in accounting and an internationally recognised professional accountancy qualification such as ACCA or CPA is required;
Intermediate to advanced computer literacy, including experience in word processing, spreadsheets and accounting software.
More than 3 years of experience in Accounting and Finance with a non-profit organisation.
Key Skills & Competencies:
- Knowledge of quick books accounting software or other accounting platform;
- Ability to work well with others under deadline situations and respond to changes in priorities;
- Good written and verbal communication skills and strong organizational skills;
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities. Strong service orientation.
Terms and conditions of Service
This position is funded and is a non established position whose contract terms are limited to the period of support; it may be renewed subject to performance and extension of the funding. The post offers attractive consolidated remuneration package.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications accompanied by a detailed CV, copies of both academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three reputable referees, contact details (email, telephone) should be sent by e-mail to:
E-mail: email@example.com With a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5th November 2021.
Please write the subject: Application for Project Accountant.
PSD is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
PSD shall only respond to shortlisted candidates.